Monday, June 23, 2008

the World is a Little Less Funny Today

What a lousy way to wake up on a Monday - to the news that one of the most intuitive, albeit at times cranky, comedians has passed. George Carlin was a wordsmith and a marvel, and one of the first stand-up comics that I had ever seen. I remember a rare night ages ago when I was allowed to stay up late and watch Carson, and Carlin performed his Football vs. Baseball routine. He became an instant favorite. Back in the 80s I did get to see him live at a show in Houston. He had to be one of the funniest curmudgeons I've ever seen. I had a daily calendar with snippets of his outlook on the world - and I still have a pile of my favorite bits of daily wisdom clipped together and tucked away.



A few weeks ago I DVR'd his latest special on HBO. I think I will raise a glass tonight and watch it.

"Just when I discovered the meaning of life, it changed."
~ George Carlin

No comments: